Today I make my living as a communication coordinator, editor for a journal, freelance photographer and writer. Living in Skåne, the southernmost part of Sweden in a fabulous place, Torna Hällestad.
I work with almost any kind of photographic method, equipment and motive. Portraits, documentary, landscape and travel are the primary areas. The introduction of digital photography made it a little bit easier, photography became available to almost everybody. Although, I still like the craftsmanship of analog photography, it is a different thing that I really appreciate. It is also a method you are forced to be focused all the time, you do not have the result until the film is developed. I mainly use the analog photography for my personal projects, digital is in most cases for more commercial work. The analog photography is from half frame(24x18mm) to large format analog (8×10 inch).
But still, the equipment are just tools, the image is central and the core of the work. I hope my images communicates something to the viewer. I still prefer the black and white, even if the color in the images sometimes might add an extra dimension. Rough black and white, often with the grainy look is what I like most.
If you like my work and would like some help with ideas, photos, or maybe a collaboration with me, don’t hesitate to contact me on the address at the bottom of the page.
Photography has been part of my life for at least the last 30 years. It has been competing with sports, outdoor living and flyfishing all the time, all are important components of my life. Photography became a serious thing in the last part of the eighties, ending up as freelance photographer, carrying a camera everywhere, capture moments of life.
The move to Örebro formed a large part of my current life, I freelanced to a few newspapers, I went to a lot of concerts and music was a part of a normal day. I documented most of the concerts, my life in Örebro and other things that just happened. I have large piles of photos from concerts, festivals etc. I also started my University studies here, studies that later continued in Lund. At this time we had a really nice darkroom in a basement in central Örebro, I spent many hours in the ”red light”!
Through the nineties I studied in Lund at the University, ending up with a Ph.D. in theoretical ecology after ten years of studies. A few different jobs later as researcher, programmer, owner of a shop for exclusive bikes, etc. Photography and writing is again the focus of my work and life.
24745 Torna Hällestad
Most of my images are for sale, and most are printed in limited numbers. If you are interested in a particular image, and maybe would like to buy, just contact me. I normally sell the prints unframed, but I arrange with complete framed prints as well. (I work on a way to make photos more available for purchase and see in a better way).
- Young photographers – Fotograficentrum Örebro April 1990
- Något i hästväg – Galleri Peer Eriksson Torna Hällestad, Konstrundan skåne , April 2014
- Olika, men ändå så lika! – Torna Hällestad Church 31 October 2015
- Annorlunda landskap – Konstrundan Skåne Mars/April 2016
- Långt bort där tiden tycks ha stannat upp – Lunds stadsbibliotek , 10-30 May 2016
- Ge oss vårt dagliga bröd – Torna Hällestad, November/December 2016
- Skånskt landskap – Torna Hällestad Oktober 2018 (solo)
- Utställning på Akademi Valand, Göteborgs universitet december 2018 (grupp)
- In My backyard – Dalby bibliotek (september & oktober 2020, (solo)
- Analog dialog – Street Gallery, Göteborg, juni-september 2021 (grupp)
- Face off! – Street Gallery, Göteborg, 17-23 september 2021 (grupp)
- Dokumentärfotosalongen – Arbetets museum, Norrköping 4 september 2021 – 9 januari 2022 (grupp)